Live Presentations in Henderson, Nevada
Earn 20 CE’s - Three day workshop completes your Gottman Level 3 Certification Training.
Level 3: Practicum Workshop in Gottman Couples Therapy
Gottman Couples Therapy Training - A New Research-Based Approach
Gottman Method Level 3: Practicum Workshop and Training
Workshop Objectives and "Road Map" to Gottman Therapist Certification
At the end of this workshop participants will understand how to:
- Choose an intervention that is appropriate for the clients at the moment.
- Recognize the “Four Horsemen” when one member of a couple exhibits that behavior.
- Stop the couple’s dyadic interaction when one member exhibits one of the “Four Horsemen”. Describe the “Four Horsemen” to the couple.
- Explain the antidote to the relevant horsemen clearly and accurately.
- Coach the person with an alternative way to express him or herself using an appropriate antidote.
- Re-direct the couple to resume communication in a dyadic way. Continue to monitor for the “Four Horsemen” and intervene if they reemerge.
- Identify when one of both partners are physiologically flooded (and not just upset) and stop the interaction between the couple.
- Provide a brief explanation of flooding in clear, sensitive language.
- Intervene by guiding one or both partners through a relaxation technique before continuing.
- Explain the “Dream Within Conflict” process and goals clearly.
- Instruct couple on “Dreams Within Conflict” intervention.
- Assist one partner to ask the other partner questions about the dream or deeper meaning embedded in their specific grid-locked issue.
- Provide “The Dream Catcher Questions” handout and coach one partner to ask the other questions from the handout to increase understanding of their partner’s underlying dreams or deeper meaning embedded in the specific grid-locked issue; help the couple hold to the questions to go deeper vs. getting into their own point of view.
- Introduce the concepts of softened start-ups and explain why it helps (ie it is easier for their partner to hear and understand their point).
- Explain research showing that the first three minutes of a discussion predicts whether that discussion will go well and whether their overall relationship will go well.
- Explain the importance expressing needs in positive terms and instruct the partner to restate their point without criticism and then direct them to resume dyadic interaction.
- Stop couple’s interaction when one or both partners are not accepting influence.
- Explain the need for accepting influence (which may include references to research). This includes finding a way to understand and honor some aspect of their partner’s position, with a focus on yielding and accepting influence rather than on persuading.
- Stop couple and instruct in the concept of offering and accepting repairs and why it is useful.
- Provide the “Repair Checklist” and explain its use.
- Ask appropriate Gottman “Oral History” questions and stay on track with sensitivity to couple’s issues and building rapport.
- Conduct “Oral History” interview with sensitivity to issues of Co-Morbidity.
- Integrate assessment information from the “Oral History” session, “Individual Relational Interviews” and “Assessment Questionnaires” to summarize the couple’s strengths, weaknesses, and primary issues.
- Interpret assessment findings accurately.
- Share Gottman research findings accurately when relevant.
- Explain each level of “The Sound Relationship House” and then provide feedback on that level before describing the next level.
- Formulate therapy goals that are consistent with :The Sound Relationship House” model as appropriate for the couple
Gottman Road Map to Certification
*Note: For More Info on Continuing Education Credits - CE Credits - CE’s - See Level 3 Registration Page
*** Discounts are available for registering for both Level 1 and Level 2 trainings, all 3 trainings, and for groups of 3 or more. See registration page for more info or call Scott at (702) 757-7393.
Back to Gottman Level 3 Description - Click Here
Learn more about your presenters... - Click Here
Go to Level 3 Registration Information Page - Click Here
Scott Wolfe, Ph.D.
Senior Certified Gottman Therapist
Couples Workshop Leader
You’ll fine-tune and master your understanding of the Gottman Method...
Internalize and integrate Gottman Method Assessment and Intervention techniques.
Receive a Clinical Manual featuring new relationship assessment questionnaires and clinical interventions.
See on film Drs. John & Julie Gottman demonstrating assessment and interventions in case examples pulled from their private practice.
View original videos of couples from Gottman's famous "Love Lab"
Receive a certificate of completion from the Gottman Institute.
For those interested in pursuing Gottman certification, this 3-day workshop fulfills the Level 3 requirement.
Sign-up for All 3 Gottman Workshops $150 Discount!